Dr. Muataz A. HussienSenior Scientist | Materials Science and Engineering
Dr. Hussien is interested in Environmental Nanotechnology , Nanomaterials, Nanocomposites, Nanofluid, Reactor Design, Separation, Purification, Catalyst and Water Treatment
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering. Al-Fateh University, Chemical Engineering, Libya, 1999
- Master of Science in Chemical Engineering. University Putra Malaysia, Chemical Engineering, Malaysia, 2001
- Doctor of Philosophy. University Putra Malaysia, Chemical Engineering, Malaysia, 2005
Dr. Muataz Ali Atieh is a senior scientist at QEERI. He was an Associate Professor at Chemical Engineering Department, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM). He produced different materials from Nanostructure materials such as Carbon Nanotubes, Carbon Nanofibers, Nanocatalyst and Graphen to Microstructure materials such as Activated Carbon, Vapor grown carbon fiber, and inorganic and organic membranes. Currently he is working in different applications such as water treatment, water desalination, water disinfection, organic and inorganic membrane synthesis, nanofluid, nanocomposite, nanocatalyst, polymerization, nanosensors. Dr. Atieh was the head of nanoscience and nanotechnology research group at International Islamic University Malaysia and the head of nano carbon research unit under chemical engineering department at KFUPM. He was lead Principal Investigator (PI) and Co-PI in twenty funded projects. One of his work as Co.I was funded by Center for Clean Water and Clean Energy at MIT-KFUPM, producing high quality monolayer graphene to be used as membrane for water desalination. Two papers in highly impact journal were published and one spinoff company called GRoWater Inc. was formed. He is the author of over 50 peer-reviewed publications, 44 conference papers, holds two USA patents and 12 filed.
Dr. Muataz has earned more than 15 awards and medals, such as:
- Excellence in Research Award (King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals) 2013
- Gold medal (Pameran reka cipta & Penylidikan, UPM, Malaysia) 2003
- First prize in the poster presentation (Update on microscopy and microanalysis) 2003
- Gold Medal (KERIE 5-6 December) Effect of Multi-Wall Carbon Nanotubes on the Physical Properties of SMR-L (Biopolymer) 2006
- Gold Medal (KERIE 5-6 December) Production of High Purity of Carbon Nanotubes by using Chemical Vapour Deposition (CVD) 2006
- Humplik T., J Lee, S. CO’Hern, B. A. Fellman, M. A. Baig, S. F. Hassan, M. A. Atieh, F. Rahman, T. Laoui, R. Karnik and E. N. Wang “Nanostructured materials for water desalination” Nanotechnology (2011) 22,292001.
- Sean C. O’Hern, Cameron A. Stewart, Michael S. H. Boutilier, Juan-Carlos Idrobo, Sreekar Bhaviripudi, Sarit K. Das, Jing Kong, Tahar Laoui5, Muataz Atieh, and Rohit Karnik “Selective molecular transport through intrinsic defects in a single layer of CVD graphene” ACS Nano. VOL. 6 ’ NO. 11 ’ 10130–10138 ’ (2012)
- Sean C. O’Hern, Michael S.H. Boutilier, Juan-Carlos Idrobo, Yi Song, Jing Kong, Tahar Laoui, Muataz Atieh, and Rohit Karnik “Selective Ionic Transport through Tunable Subnanometer Pores in 2 Single-Layer Graphene Membranes” Nano Letters (2014) 10.1021/nl404118f.
- Arsalan Khalida, Abdulhadi A. Al-Juhania, Othman Charles Al Hamouz, Tahar Laouic, Zafrullah Khanc , Mautaz Ali Atieh “Preparation and properties of nanocomposite polysulfone/multi-walled carbon nanotubes membranes for desalination” Desalination 367, ( 2015) 134–144