Dr. Khaled A. MahmoudScientist | Materials Science and Engineering
Nanomaterials, membranes, water treatment, desalination, cellulose, graphenes, 2D carbides, photovoltaic, thin films, environmental sensors, enhanced oil recovery.
- (Undergraduate studies on) Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Suez Canal University, Egypt in 1996
- Master’s Degree on Analytical Chemistry Department of Chemistry, Suez Canal University, Egypt in 2002
- PhD. on Analytical Chemistry from the University of Saskatchewan, Canada in 2007.
Dr. Khaled Mahmoud is a Scientist in Water Chemistry and Nanotechnology at the Qatar Environment and Energy Research Institute (QEERI). Prior joining QEERI, he was appointed as Research Officer in Biosensors and Nanobiotechnology at the Biotechnology Research Institute/National Research Council (CNRC), Montreal, Canada. His scientific achievements include the development of novel materials and methodologies for the design and fabrication of environmental biosensors, bioreactors, and other biocompatible devices at the nanoscale. He is specialized in electrochemistry, impedance spectroscopy, transmission electron microscopy (TEM), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), and x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS).Dr. Mahmoud is a member of the American Chemical Society (ACS), Canadian Society for Chemistry (CSC), Cellulose and Renewable Materials, ACS Colloids and Surface Sciences. He is co-author of 27 peer-reviewed papers, 5 book chapters, and 2 patents
- Excellence Achievement Award, CNRC, Canada and Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Fellowship, Canada. 2008
- Mahmoud, KA; Mansoor,B.; Mansour,A.;Khraisheh,M.” Functional graphene nanosheets: The next generation membranes for water desalination” Desalination, 2015, 356, 208-225.
- Mahmoud, KA; Zourob, M “Fe3O4/Au Nanoparticles/Lignin Modified Microspheres as Effectual Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering (SERS) Substrate for Highly Selective and Sensitive Detection of 2,4,6-Trinitrotoluene (TNT)” Analyst, 2013, 138, 2712-2719.
- Mahmoud, KA; Mena, J; Male, KB; Hrapovic, S.; Kamen, A; Luong, JHT. “Effect of Surface Charge on the Cellular Uptake and Cytotoxicity of Fluorescent Labeled Cellulose Nanocrystals” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2010, 2, 2924–2932.
- Mahmoud, KA; Hrapovic, S; Luong, JHT. “Picomolar Detection of Protease using Peptide/Single Walled Carbon Nanotube/Gold Nanoparticle-Modified Electrode” ACS Nano, 2008, 2, 1051–1057