Dr. Ilias BelharouakResearch Director | Energy Storage
High power and high energy lithium ion batteries, sulfur batteries and sodium batteries for consumer, transportation and grid applications; synthesis and design of battery materials, electrolytes and additives; engineering and scale up of battery materials and cells; multi-scale range characterization of battery components and interfaces; diagnostics and probing of aging phenomena in batteries.
- Ph.D. Degree (1999), Materials Science and Solid State Chemistry, Institute for Solid State Chemistry (ICMCB), National Center for Scientific Research, Bordeaux 1 University, Bordeaux, France
- Master’s Degree (1996), Materials Science and Solid State Chemistry, Institute for Solid State Chemistry (ICMCB), National Center for Scientific Research, Bordeaux 1 University, Bordeaux, France.
- Bachelor’s Degree (1995), Inorganic Chemistry, Faculty of Sciences Semlalia, Cadi Ayyad University, Marrakech, Morocco.
Since November 2013, Dr. Belharouak is leading a world class team to develop and implement durable, efficient and affordable stationary energy storage solutions for solar and desalination applications with a focus on the valorization of the Qatari natural resources. Before joining Qatar Foundation, Dr. Belharouak was a Materials Scientist and Battery Expert at the Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois, USA. Dr. Belharouak has extensive experience working with multiple US. government agencies and industry in applying battery research for projects ranging from medical to electric vehicles and grid applications.
- 50th R&D 100 Awards for the development of concentration gradient cathode materials for high capacity lithium ion batteries, 2012.
- 47th R&D 100 Awards for the development of composite electrode materials for plug-in hybrid and all-electric vehicles batteries, 2009.
- 46th R&D 100 awards for the development of advanced high-power battery for hybrid electric vehicles, 2008.
- Argonne National Laboratory Director’s Award for excellence and achievement and performance which truly surpasses normal job expectations, 2007.
- 43th R&D 100 Awards for the development of self-contained battery-powered bion microstimilator with rechargeable miniature battery, 2005.
- Radially aligned hierarchical columnar structure as a cathode material for high energy density sodium-ion batteries. Jang-Yeon Hwang, Seung-Min Oh, Seung-Taek Myung, Kyung Yoon Chung, Ilias Belharouak, and Yang-Kook Sun. Nature Communications, (2015), DOI: 10.1038/ncomms7865
- Demonstration of highly efficient lithium-sulfur batteries. Rui Xu, James C. M. Li, Jun Lu, Khalil Amine and Ilias Belharouak. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, (2015), DOI: 10.1039/c4ta06641c
- Structural and electrochemical study of Al2O3 and TiO2 coated Li1.2Ni0.13Mn0.54Co0.13O2 cathode material using ALD. Xiaofeng Zhang, Ilias Belharouak, Li Li, Yu Lei, Jeffrey W. Elam, Anmin Nie, Xinqi Chen, Reza S. Yassar and Richard L. Axelbaum. Advanced Energy Materials, 3 (10), 1299-1307 (2013)
- Role of polysulfides in self-healing Lithium sulfur batteries. Rui Xu, Ilias Belharouak, James C.M. Li, Xiaofeng Zhang, Ira Bloom, and Javier Bareño. Advanced Energy Materials, 3, Issue 7, 833–838 (2013)