Dr. Husam M. BaaloushaSenior Scientist | Environmental and Chemical Science
Dr. Husam Baalousha is a Civil Engineer with a Master Degree, a PhD Degree in hydrology and hydrogeology, and over 15 years international experience in hydrology and hydrogeology. Husam is a leading hydrogeologist and modeller, with emphasis on integrated water resources management, flow and contaminant transport, vulnerability, monitoring and protection, risk analysis and uncertainty analysis. Husam has completed projects in Palestine, Germany, and New Zealand. Currently, he is leading a groundwater recharge project in Qatar.
- PhD in Civil Engineering. Aachen University of Technology (RWTH). Aachen, Germany. 2003
- MSc in Hydrological Engineering. IHE-UNISCO Institute of Water Education. Delft, the Netherlands.1998
- BSc in Civil Engineering. Birzeit University, Palestine1996
Dr. Baalousha experience covers variety of projects on groundwater quality, monitoring, modelling and assessment. He completed groundwater vulnerability mapping projects in Palestine and in New Zealand. In addition to vulnerability mapping, Dr. Baalousha completed projects on risk mapping of groundwater contamination. Environmental Impact Assessment is another area of Dr. Baalousha expertise as he completed a study on environmental impact of desalination in the Gaza Strip, Palestine. Over the last 20 years, Dr. Baalousha was involved in many groundwater modelling projects in different countries. He completed modelling projects in Palestine, Germany and New Zealand where he developed regional flow models for groundwater flow and contaminant transport.
In the last few years Dr. Baalousha has developed and completed models for both groundwater and surface water to account for interaction. Dr. Baalousha’s is the Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Hydraulic Engineering and a member of editorial board of many Journals in the field of hydrology and water resources.
- 2006/2007 Listed in "Marquis Who’s Who" in Science and Engineering
- 2000-2003 German Academic Exchange Service "DAAD" scholarship, Technical University of Aachen (RWTH), Germany
- 1996-1998 Netherlands Fellowship program, The Netherlands
- 1991-1995 United Nations annual grants for outstanding student.
- H. Baalousha, 2014. D Approximation of the exponential Integral (Well function) using sampling methods. Journal of Hydrology, DOI 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2015.01.062.
- H. Baalousha, 2012. Drawdown and stream depletion induced by a nearby pumping well. Journal of Hydrology, DOI 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2012.08.010.
- H. Baalousha, 2012. Characterisation of groundwater-surface water interaction using field measurements and numerical modelling. A case study from the Ruataniwha Basin, Hawke’s Bay, New Zealand. Applied Water Science. DOI 10.1007/s13201-012-0028-3
- H. Baalousha, 2010. Assessment of a groundwater quality monitoring network using vulnerability mapping and geostatistics: A case study from Heretaunga Plains, New Zealand. Agricultural Water Management, 97: 240-246