Dr. Ali AbouimranePrincipal Investigator | Energy Storage
Energy storage expert with 15 years’ experience in rechargeable batteries and Materials focusing on developing advanced materials and electrochemical energy devices for renewable energy technologies such as: PHEV, EV (batteries for more efficient cars) and smart grid (energy storage for solar and wind applications able to beat their intermittence problem; energy storage for backup power in industrial plants).
- B.Sc., Chemistry Hassan II University, Casablanca, Morocco. 1992.
- M.Sc., Physical Chemistry, Mohamed V University, Rabat, Morocco. 1993.
- Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, Hassan II University, Casablanca, Morocco. 2000.
- Specialized Graduate Diplomas (D.E.S.S.) in Management, HEC, Montreal, Canada. 2007.
Dr. Ali Abouimrane is a principal scientist at Qatar Environment and Energy Research Institute (QEERI). Before joining (QEERI), Dr. Ali Abouimrane was a Senior Materials Scientist at Argonne National Laboratory. He received his Ph.D. in Physical chemistry in 2000 from University Hassan II in Casablanca (Morocco). From 2001-2004, he worked at University of Montreal as a Postdoctoral Fellow. From 2005-2008, he joined the National Research Council of Canada in Ottawa where he worked on the development of advanced lithium-ion battery materials for various stationary and mobile applications. In 2008, he moved to Argonne national Laboratory. He has over 14 years’ experience in lithium batteries, advanced materials and electrochemical energy devices for the development of renewable energy technologies such as: PHEV, EV (batteries for more efficient cars) and smart grid (energy storage for solar and wind applications able to beat their intermittence problem; energy storage for backup power in industrial plants). He was a primary investigator for Applied Battery Research for Transportation (ABRT) and Laboratory Directed Research and Development (LDRD) projects funded by the Department of Energy. His research area includes also Materials and Nanotechnology. He has published over 56 peer reviewed papers in international journals, more than 120 conference papers and technical presentations and he is the co-inventor of 12 patents or patent applications (H-index 20). Dr. Abouimrane served as a reviewer for U.S Department of Energy, French National Research Agency and various journals in the fields of Materials Science, Chemistry, and Electrochemistry.
- Most cited paper in Electrochemistry Communication journal in last 5 years 2005-2009, 2010.
- National Research Council of Canada (NRC): New Employee Award, Ottawa, 2008.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Award: Ottawa 2005-2006.
- Moroccan government’s Research Award: Casablanca 1994-1999.
- A. Abouimrane, D. Dambournet, K. Chapman, P. Chupass, and K. Amine A New Class of Lithium and Sodium Rechargeable Batteries Based on Selenium as a Positive Electrode J. Am. Chem. Soc. 134, 4505 (2012).
- A. Abouimrane, W. Weng, H. Eltayeb, Y. Cui, J. Niklas, O. Poluektov and K. Amine Sodium insertion in carboxylate based materials and their application in 3.6 V full sodium cells Energy & Environmental Science 5(2), 9632 (2012).
- A. Nyten, A. Abouimrane, M. Armand, T. Gustafsson and J-O. Thomas Electrochemical performance of Li2FeSiO4 as a new Li-battery cathode material electrolytes Electrochem. Comm. 7, 156 (2005).
- P-J. Alarco, Y. Abu-Lebdeh, A. Abouimrane and M. Armand The plastic crystalline phase of succinonitrile as universal matrix for solid state ionic conductors Nature Materials 3, 476 (2004).