Dr. Ahmed AbdalaSenior Scientist | Materials Science and Engineering
Synthesis, functionalization, and applications of carbon nanomaterials; Polymer rheology, development of functional and enhanced polymers based on nanocomposites, polymeric membranes for gas separation, anticorrosion coatings; CO2 capture and conversion of CO2 to polymers. Applications of polymers and surfactant in enhanced oil recovery.
- B.S. (Honor), Petroleum Refining Engineering, Suez Canal University, Egypt, 1990
- M.S., Petrochemicals, Suez Canal University, Egypt, 1995
- M. S. (Non-thesis), Chemical Engineering,North Carolina State University, USA, 2001
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering and Fiber & Polymer Science, North Carolina State University, USA, 2003
Dr. Ahmed A. Abdalla is a senior scientist in the Materials Science and Engineering group. Before Joining QEERI, he was Associate Professor and the Deputy Chair of the Chemical Engineering Department, The Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi. Previously, he was assistant professor at the Faculty of Petroleum and Mining Engineering, Suez Canal University (2004-2006) and Research Associate at Princeton University (2003-2004).
- Science Lantern Faculty Award, ADNOC R&D, February 2014
- Science Lantern Faculty Award, ADNOC R&D, February 2013
- Best Paper Award, New Frontiers in Materials Science Conference, Kuwait Foundation for Advancement of Science, Kuwait, December 2010.
- Nancy G. Pollock Thesis and Dissertation Award for best Ph.D. Thesis, College of Engineering, North Carolina State University, 2003.
- S. Lonkar, Y. Deshmukh, and A. Abdala, “Recent Advances in Chemical Modifications of Graphene”, Nano Research, 2015, DOI 10.1007/s12274-014-0622-9
- H. Kim, A. Abdala, and C. Macosko, “Graphene/polymer nanocomposites,” Macromolecules, 43(16), 6515-6530, 2010. (Cover Article)
- T. Ramanathan, A. A. Abdala, S. Stankovich, D. A. Dikin, M. Herrera-Alonso, R. D. Piner, D. H. Adamson, H. C. Schniepp, X. Chen, R. S. Ruoff, S. T. Nguyen, I. A. Aksay, R. K. Prud'Homme, and L. C. Brinson “Functionalized graphene sheets for polymer nanocomposites,” Nature Nanotechnology, 3, 327-331, 2008
- M. McAllister, J. Li, D. Adamson, H. Schniepp, A. Abdala, J. Liu, M. Herrera-Alonso, D. Milius, R. Car, R. Prud’Homme, and I. Aksay, “Single sheet functionalized graphene by oxidation and thermal expansion of graphite,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 19 (18), 4396-4404, 2007. (Cover Article)