QEERI was established in 2011 with the mandate of leading the national Energy and Water Security Grand Challenges, aligned with Qatar’s National Vision 2030 strategy.
The Institute has four research tracks on the Energy Security Grand Challenge: Solar Photovoltaics; Energy Storage; Grid Integration; and Energy Efficiency. All of them support Qatar to achieve the deployment of large scale of solar energy and reduce the risk of instability to the grid.
QEERI’s Water Security Grand Challenge has four tracks: Water Desalination and Treatment; Water Quality and Reuse; Aquifer Recharge; and Water Conservation. Moreover, the institute is active in Atmospheric and Regional Climate Change Research. The research in these tracks is aimed to increase energy efficiency, reduce costs, minimize health risks of the desalination and treatment processes and environmental impacts and is also aimed to contribute to achieving social sustainability.
QEERI works in close collaboration with the local public and private sectors, and is home to internationally renowned researchers. QEERI’s focused research and capacity building efforts support the State of Qatar in moving towards a knowledge-based economy.
QEERI's Executive Directors:
- Dr. Rabi H. Mohtar (2011 to 2013)
- Dr. Mohammad (Moe) Khaleel (2013 to 2015)
- Dr. Khalid Al-Subai (Acting- October 2015 to July 2016)
- Dr. Marwan Khraisheh (Acting - From August 2016)
To become a leading research center with global impact through addressing the national energy and water security grand challenges.
- Assist and expedite the introduction of off-grid integrated photovoltaic and energy storage technologies by providing scientific and engineering solutions to the deployment of large scale solar power in Qatar.
- Enhance the sustainability of water resources by providing scientific and technological solutions basis for energy-efficient water desalination, co-produced and waste water treatment and reuse and Qatar’s aquifer recharge.
- Address the impact of climate change on the State of Qatar and the region.
- Catalyse the creation of an industrial ecosystem for energy, water and the environmental research and development through local and international partnerships.
- Enhance research culture in the country and build a pool of Qatari researchers in Energy Water, and Environment in Qatar.